Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic configuration of Remote Desktop, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Instructor] In this section, we're going to talk about…Remote Desktop which is a technology that's been around…for a while in several previous Microsoft operating systems.…But in the Windows 10 Fall 2017 Creators Update,…there's been some changes to the interface.…So at the Start menu, I'll click on the gear icon…for Settings, then go to System.…And in the left-hand navigation near the bottom…we have Remote Desktop, and this is our new interface…for configuring Remote Desktop.…
The first option is just a simple On, Off…for Enable Remote Desktop.…Mine is turned on and I think I had better leave it on…because I am in fact using Remote Desktop…to access the computer you're seeing on your screen.…So if I turn it off, it will disconnect me.…We're going to avoid that.…We have a few check boxes for different settings…such as Keep my PC awake for connections.…So if your PC falls asleep or goes into some sort…of a low power mode, you might not be able to connect…to it using Remote Desktop.…
So you can check that to make sure the PC is always awake.…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.