Join Mike Meyers for an in-depth discussion in this video Autostarting programs in Windows, part of CompTIA A+ (220-902) Cert Prep: 3 Windows Basics.
- If you really need to do maintenance,…if you really feel the urge to maintain computers,…well I've got one place where…it still needs that human touch,…and that is auto-starting programs.…Windows is notorious for, over time…as you install more and more programs,…that more and more stuff starts when you…boot up your computer.…Auto-starting programs can really…slow your system down, and it's a really good idea…to be able to go in and shut off auto-starting programs.…Now you need to be careful about this,…because there are some auto-starting programs…you really want to run, and others you don't.…
I can't tell you in this episode…which programs you need to keep running…and which ones you don't, that's why we do Google searches.…What I'm gonna be doing in this episode…is making sure you know where to do it…based on your version of Windows.…To get us started here, what I'm gonna use is…I've got an old copy of Windows Vista.…Just, well, I like pain, what can I say?…We're going to show you how to use…the system configuration utility, better known as msconfig,…
Part 3 covers the Windows operating system: all the basics you need to know to troubleshoot the inside of a PC. Author and CompTIA expert Mike Meyers takes a look under the hood at the processes, services, and tasks and provides an overview of user management, which is one of the foundations of Windows security. In Chapter 3, you'll learn some techniques for maintaining and optimizing the performances of Windows, including backup and restore procedures. Every lesson maps to a question in the critical Windows domain—an estimated 30% of the exam.
Details about the certification and the exam blueprints can be found at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a.
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- What is the Windows registry?
- Understanding the boot process
- Using the Windows 8 Task Manager
- Creating and managing users
- Working in the Microsoft Management Console
- Installing and uninstalling programs
- Backing up and restoring Windows