Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Assigning permissions, part of Windows 10: Security.
- [Voiceover] Now let's take a look at some examples of…updating permissions on a file.…Off the C drive, I'm going to open the directory…securing Windows 10,…and there I have one file,…TestDoc, I'm going to right click on that,…and go to properties,…and then I'll select the security tab,…and I would like to edit the permissions on this.…Right now the test user has full control,…and that's the account I'd like to use for this example,…so I'm going to first add myself as having full control.…
So I can continue to manipulate the permissions.…So I'll hit add,…type in the name of my account,…and add myself as full control.…Then on TestUser, I'm going knock him down…to just read and write permission.…Hit apply, hit okay,…and hit okay again.…So now, how do we test this?…I could log out and log back in, as TestUser,…but there's also an easier way to do that.…Windows allows us to run a program as a different user.…
So off the start menu, I'm going to open a command prompt,…and in there I'm going to type in,…runas /user:TestUser…
In this course, Martin Guidry helps you work through each essential security step. He takes you through familiar ground, standard account setup, covering accounts, passwords, users groups, and permissions. He also takes you through unfamiliar territory, enhanced features and new products, examining BitLocker, Wi-Fi Sense, Windows Defender, and Edge, the new web browser. This course provides instructional step-by-step walkthroughs in addition to best practice discussions. Learn how to protect your computer from a network attack, apply security policies in Group Policy, use remote desktop, and more.
- Setting up passwords, smart cards, and biometrics
- Creating groups and assigning permissions
- Assigning permissions
- Encrypting full discs, file transfers, and networks
- Using anti-virus and anti-malware solutions
- Configuring firewall settings
- Securing remote desktop connections
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: Windows Firewall, basic configuration of Remote Desktop, and controlling updates for Windows 10. In addition, new videos were added that cover Windows 10 S and virus and threat protection, device performance and health, firewall and network protection, and app and browser control with Windows Defender.