Join James Gonzalez for an in-depth discussion in this video Apply NTFS permissions, part of Windows 10: Configure, Secure, and Manage Data.
- In this lesson, I provide a basic example…demonstrating how to use NTSF Permissions…to set up different kinds of security on your networks.…Let's say that you're an administrator and have a folder…that you want to share with another user…on this computer or on the network.…However, nonadmin users should not be able…to delete documents other than their own documents.…Let me show you how to set up sharing permissions…using NTSF sharing to do this.…You're going to start in the File Explorer,…and right-click on the folder where you want to set up…your permissions and choose,…from the contextual menu, Properties.…
That brings up the Document Properties for that folder.…Click on the Security tab.…So, you're going to want to set up a User group,…and with this group, you're going to want…to give them minimal permissions.…This will be just Read & execute.…So, turn off everything except Read & execute.…That gives these users permission to open…and modify all files but to delete these files.…Next, you'll want to establish a Creator_owner account.…
Using the tools that come with a standard Windows build, James Gonzalez shows how to configure data storage (on client devices and on OneDrive), secure data with good authentication practices, encrypt data with EFS and BitLocker, and manage data access to shared folders, printers, and hard drives. He also shows how to set up file sharing for an organization using HomeGroup networks and NTFS permissions.
This course is also part of a series designed to help you prepare for the Microsoft exam 70-697: Configuring Windows Devices.
- Identify which storage usage category you should select to check how much space your downloads folder is using on your Windows drive.
- Name the type of storage space resiliency you should select to turn two physical drives into one logical drive.
- Describe the steps needed to access the NTFS permissions for a specific folder.
- List the actions required to share a printer with users on the same network.
- State how to use file explorer to open your PC instead of quick access.
- List the steps to add folder permissions for a specific folder.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Configuring Data Storage
2. Securing Data
3. Encrypting Data
4. Managing Data Access
5. Sharing Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.