Learn about administrative shares, including C$ and enable/disable.
- [Instructor] Administrative shares have been around…for many years and therefore,…they can be easily overlooked by admins,…especially since there are more modern methods…of accessing devices remotely…such as using PowerShell Remote.…Even if you do not use them,…you should be aware that administrative shares…can provide a backdoor into all Windows Based PC's.…However, before you rush to disable them,…they allow remote system services…to be provided to PC's and allow administrators…to remotely access PC's.…
Administrative Shares are created automatically…by Windows which means potentially every PC…on your network is exposing…the root access to each volume.…Thankfully, unlike other shared files or folders,…administrative shares are hidden by default.…This is achieved by appending the dollar character…to the end of a share name.…Reassuringly, the share can only be accessed…by a user with administrative rights.…Before you start disabling every administrative share,…you should understand that they can be useful.…
Of course, sharing out the contents…
- Troubleshooting startup issues
- Using Windows 10 Safe Mode
- Creating a new BitLocker password
- Resolving a slow-running computer
- Managing device driver issues
- Fixing an incompatible application using a shim
- Troubleshooting computers remotely
- Troubleshooting network and remote connectivity
- Troubleshooting a VPN connection
- Migrating to a mobile device management solution
- Resolving sign-in issues
Skill Level Advanced
Windows 10 for IT Pros Essential Trainingwith Brien Posey2h 53m Intermediate
Windows 10: Provision and Manage Mobile Deviceswith Brien Posey1h 39m Intermediate
1. Troubleshooting Startup Issues
2. Troubleshooting BitLocker
3. Troubleshooting Hardware Devices and Software
4. Troubleshooting Computers Remotely
5. Troubleshooting Network and Remote Connectivity
6. Troubleshooting VPN Connections
7. Troubleshooting Group Policy and MDM Issues
8. Troubleshooting User Sign-On Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.