In this video, learn: how to determine whether a lack of connection problem is with your computer, local network, or the Internet; how to check for a down website, and explore other ways to get on the network.
- View Offline
- [Instructor] The network seems fine.…You can access other computers,…you can print on a network printer,…but for some reason you can't get out onto the Internet.…So, is the Internet up or down?…Is the problem with a single webpage?…Is it even your problem at all?…In Windows, a missing Internet connection is evident…from the Task bar.…The Networking icon features a warning flag.…Right click the icon and choose…Open Network and Sharing Center to confirm the error.…You'll see that the access type is local only,…or no Internet.…
That just confirms what you already know.…To troubleshoot Internet connections, start with the modem.…Is it on and receiving a signal?…Check the lights.…If the lights are off, then the network is down.…Still, try to power cycle the modem.…Turn it off, wait, then turn it on again.…If resetting the modem doesn't work,…phone your ISP to see whether or not the Internet…is down in your area.…The problem might be with a single website…so try loading a popular website such as LinkedIn,…Google, or Bing.…
- Diagnosing the causes of PC issues
- Troubleshooting hardware and software
- Performing startup and system restore steps
- Accessing the Task Manager
- Using the Registry Editor
- Fixing Windows
- Maintaining storage drives
- Restoring network connectivity
Skill Level Beginner
1. PC Trouble
2. Startup and Shutdown Issues
3. Problems and Solutions: Windows
4. Problems and Solutions: Mass Storage
5. Problems and Solutions: Printer
6. Problems and Solutions: Monitors and Graphics
Troubleshooting the monitor3m 54s
7. Problems and Solutions: Peripherals
8. Problems and Solutions: Networking
Checking network software2m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.