The open-source HoloToolkit automatically does spatial mapping for you. Learn how to build a floating debug window in your holographic scene to find out what is really happening.
- Currently when we use this app…to scan the room,…I don't really know what's going on.…As a developer, I find that a little bit frustrating…because I know there's a lot of processing happening,…so what I want to do now is add a Debug Window…to the project so I can get that information…as it's happening.…I'm going to start by adding a new empty object.…I'm going to call this my Debug Window…by clicking on it and renaming it.…Great,…and then underneath it,…I'm going to add a 3D text object from the HoloToolkit.…
We're going to go down here to UI,…click on the prefabs and find the 3D Text Prefab…and just put it under there.…It should be child at the Debug Window,…and I'm going to call it Debug Text.…Since this is mainly what I'm going to see,…I'm going to make a few changes to it.…I'm going to go down here and select a font.…Arial's pretty good.…
I'm going to make it a bit bigger.…I'm going to set the font size to about 68.…All the other defaults are pretty good.…I want the default text just to be Debug Windows,…so I know where I am when the application is running.…
Join instructors Dennis Vroegop and James Ashley for this introduction for HoloLens app development. They show you how to set up your development environment, including Unity and the HoloToolkit; how to deploy to HoloLens and the HoloLens emulator; and how to build apps that accept user input via gazes, tapping, and speech. Then discover how to use spatial mapping to detect your surroundings and analyze your environment with spatial understanding. Learn how to implement spatial sound that adds to the user's existing environment, and synchronize data to create shared experiences. Along the way, learn how it all comes together in two simple 3D apps: a visualization for enterprise business and a platform game.
- Installing Unity, Visual Studio, and the HoloToolkit
- Building an app in Unity
- Deploying to HoloLens or the HoloLens emulator
- Gaze and tapping
- Spatial mapping and spatial understanding
- Spatial sound
- Shared holograms
- Creating 3D enterprise apps
- Creating 3D games
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Set Up Your Development Environment
Download the HoloToolkit2m 32s
2. Basic Configuration and Deployment
3. Basic Interaction
4. Use HoloToolKit
5. Spatial Sound
6. Shared Experiences
7. Games and Enterprise Applications on the HoloLens
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.