Virtual extensible LANs is introduced as an ARP solution as well as encapsulation and the ability to manage the flow of traffic at the level of layer 2 frames.
- [Narrator] In the last video,…we looked at one type of encapsulation…that can help us create a software-defined network…that is not bound by traditional limitations of routers.…While layer three is an important part…of how network traffic is isolated or forwarded,…it's not the only layer.…Most switches rely on layer two information…to direct traffic within routing domains.…This creates another opportunity for an SDN component.…Most operating systems and NIC drivers…use ARP to resolve a destination IP address…to a destination or next hop MAC address.…
Layer two devices can then forward a packet…based on that MAC address.…Switches and other forwarding devices…have three different ways to determine…where a MAC address is located…so the packet is forwarded in the right direction.…The first, and the least efficient,…is for the device to learn for itself…and create its own internal ARP table.…This creates a lot of broadcast traffic…as the switch tries to learn the network…and verify things every time they change.…
The other two methods require…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Configuring a network interface controller team
- Switching embedded teaming
- Remote enabled direct memory access NICs
- Configuring virtual machine queue
- Enabling and configuring SR-IOV
- Understanding software-defined networks (SDN)
- Reviewing SDN network requirements and deployment scenarios
Skill Level Intermediate
1. High-Performance Network Interfaces
2. High-Performance SMB Environments
3. High-Performance Virtual Networks
4. Software-Defined Networks
5. Software-Defined Virtual Networks
6. Gateways and Firewalls
Next steps1m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.