A different kind of monitor is introduced in this video. The Microsoft Message Analyzer is presented as a step above other network monitors and packet sniffers. You will learn how viewing higher-level data and tracking conversations between subsystems in a Windows Server make this one of the best things you can download from Microsoft for free.
- [Instructor] There is another monitoring tool…that I wanted to present in this course.…The Performance Monitor can report a lot…of very useful information on the processor,…memory usage, and other objects.…It can even give some important network statistics.…It does fall short, however,…when it comes to showing you the contents…of network communication.…The Microsoft Message Analyzer fills that void.…Now most packet sniffers are capable…of capturing every frame on a network,…but what the Message Analyzer brings to the table…are three new features.…
The first is the ability to group an entire conversation,…like this capture of me purchasing…a 1980s pop song from iTunes.…Consider how a computer prepares…a message for the network.…I've listed the layers of the OSI model…on the left, and the TCP/IP model on the right,…and every communication starts out…as a message before it's broken down…into segments at the Transport level,…which may be segmented again…before being sent across on the network.…If we were using the older network monitor,…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Staying up to date with WSUS
- Installing and configuring WSUS
- Monitoring Windows Server performance
- Scheduling monitoring
- Monitoring network usage with Message Analyzer
- Troubleshooting Windows Server with event logs
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Server Core for Windows Server 2012 R2with Mike Pfeiffer1h 37m Intermediate
Windows Server 2012 R2: Manage Group Policywith Ed Liberman1h 46m Intermediate
1. Staying Up to Date with WSUS
2. Monitoring Server Performance
3. Monitoring Network Usage
4. Using Event Logs to Troubleshoot Windows Server 2016
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.