A data center scenario is used to show RDMA, SMB Mutlichannel, SMB Direct and other features of Windows Server 2016 maximize performance of a Hyper-V server.
- [Instructor] So now that we have…a high performing physical network from Chapter One,…and in the last two videos,…we've started putting together…the elements of the fastest possible SMB,…or file sharing environment,…I'd now like to introduce you SMB Direct.…Like SMB microchannel,…SMB direct is enabled by default in Windows 2016 Server,…but to get maximum benefit…you do need to check a couple of things.…RDMA and microchannel have to be enabled and running…with their supporting drivers.…
If you've disabled either one of these,…SMB Direct will not work.…As of this recording, it's unfortunate…but if you were to check the SMB configuration…it would tell you that SMB direct is enabled…even if one of these other services is not.…The end result is,…even though the display said SMB direct was enabled…it will not be providing you any benefits.…Also know that this service is intended to be used…between servers with high-performance NICs.…
The three different technologies supported by RDMA…run at speeds of 10 gigabit per second…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Configuring a network interface controller team
- Switching embedded teaming
- Remote enabled direct memory access NICs
- Configuring virtual machine queue
- Enabling and configuring SR-IOV
- Understanding software-defined networks (SDN)
- Reviewing SDN network requirements and deployment scenarios
Skill Level Intermediate
1. High-Performance Network Interfaces
2. High-Performance SMB Environments
3. High-Performance Virtual Networks
4. Software-Defined Networks
5. Software-Defined Virtual Networks
6. Gateways and Firewalls
Next steps1m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.