Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Information architecture, part of Mapping the Modern Web Design Process.
- The process of creating content priority hierarchies…is naturally followed by the creation…of information architecture for the site as a whole.…The term information architecture, or IA for short,…is a bit of a weird one…because it refers to three different, but connected thinks.…The actual architecture of information.…The act of creating that architecture.…And, the community of practice…that thinks and innovates in this realm.…
What can I say, we people who build websites…love to create obfuscating terms for what we do.…So, ignoring is rather a complex definition.…The idea of information architecture is really quite simple.…We want to organize and label the different components…of a website in such a way that a visitor or user…can get from one place to another…and find what she's looking for in the most…obvious and straight forward way possible.…Easy as pie.…
So, how do we do that?…Well, taking all the information we've collected so far,…we can now draw up a diagram that maps out each…of the main elements of the site.…
- Understanding what your users care about
- Creating user personas
- Creating content priority hierarchies
- Testing wireframes and interaction patterns
- Establishing a three-track build process
- Incorporating accessibility principles
- Using content blocks
- Testing and revising your web design
- Optimizing for social media and SEO
- Launching your web design
- Getting feedback from users
Skill Level Beginner
1. Web Design as a Process
2. Some Perspective
4. The Content Strategy Phase
5. Prebuild Testing
6. The Build Phase
7. The Test-and-Revision Phase
8. The Optimization Phase
9. Launch and Reset
10. Going Further with lynda.com
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.