Join Justin Putney for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding what to provide to developers, part of Responsive Design Workflows.
- View Offline
Knowing what to provide your developer colleagues can greatly increase your…chances of successfully handing off your designs.…One of the most terrifying segments of a project can be the handoff of…designs to a developer.…Once the developer has posted the final mockup, they no longer have control, and…it's up to someone else to realize their designs.…It's common to hand off a design to a developer as a single image file; often a Photoshop file.…If the mockup is static, but the end goal is a responsive design, this creates a…gap that the developer must then fill in.…
The handoff is your opportunity to have a say in how your experience will look…across different devices.…It would be impractical to try and cover every gap by mocking up every single device.…Instead, you can provide a roadmap that guides the developer on how to treat…different types of gaps.…As a designer, you can use your visual skills to create guidelines for the…developer, just as you do when you create visuals for your client.…
- What is responsive design?
- Understanding concepts like scaling and interaction mediums
- Building a team and explaining job roles
- Planning for color and typefaces
- What developers and designers should provide
- Setting client expectations
- Working with a budget
- Investigating design solutions
- Hiring team members and contractors