- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
- Hi. I'm Laura Franz, and welcome to Typography for Web Designers. In this course, I'll show you how to choose and use fonts for headlines and text, including what to look for when choosing two fonts to work together. We'll explore how to incorporate web fonts into a page, including using the @font-face syntax to link to fonts on your server, and how to use the fonts available at Google.com web fonts. I'll cover the basics of setting text for maximum readability.
We'll look at font size, line height, line length, and chunking text with hierarchy and spacing. We'll also look at some of the differences between traditional and modernist page designs, and how contemporary designers use elements of both in their work. Finally, I'll show you the details typographers pay attention to: hanging punctuation, curly quotes, and special characters. We'll even look at creating final touches that require special care, like drop caps.
So let's get started with Typography for Web Designers.
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.