Learn why someone would want to use BigCommerce.
- [Narrator] Building an ecommerce business is challenging. Gone are the days of build it and they will come. Any ecommerce store owner has to spend a lot of time getting people to their site. Or acquisition as it's called and then get those visitors through the checkout which is called conversion. That's why ecommerce platforms like BigCommerce that let you spend as much time as possible working on your business instead of fixing technical issues are incredibly valuable. While other platforms are more minimal and let you install all sorts of extensions or apps that add functionality.
BigCommerce makes an educated guess what you'll want and a lot of that functionality comes pre-installed. Other platforms are like a computer that comes installed with Internet Explorer or Safari, and then you have to download FireFox or Chrome. BigCommerce already knows that you want those browsers so they come pre-installed. This saves you a ton of time installing and configuring, but most importantly a bunch of time researching which solution would be best for you. You don't have to research the best SEO apps, since SEO is built into BigCommerce. BigCommerce is a completely hosted solution.
That means, you don't have to know how web servers work or how to set one up. BigCommerce will handle all of those technical issues and you don't have to worry. If you just want your store to work and customizing every single pixel isn't important to you, then a hosted solution like BigCommerce is an excellent choice. BigCommerce also has a very tight integration with social media platforms. It's easy to add a store to your Facebook page, it's easy to tag products in Instagram posts, and it's easy to let users purchase directly from Pinterest. And then of course, BigCommerce has its own app store. If you want to integrate with Avalara for taxes, QuickBooks for accounting or Yotpo for reviews you can.
There are over 600 integrations, so you should be able to find one that does exactly what you need. And if the integration doesn't exist, they have an API that you can use to code your own solution. Something that you don't usually see mentioned is that the user interface for BigCommerce is designed for lots of products and lots of orders. Their default views work really well for thousands of products and thousands of orders. Other ecommerce platforms can certainly handle thousands of products but their interfaces aren't built for it. I like to think of BigCommerce as the desktop software.
And a lot of other platforms are like a mobile app. They can do the same thing, but one is designed for a full keyboard and sitting down and dedicating time. And the other designed for thumbs and only a little bit of work at a time. This isn't a deal breaker for many store owners, but if you're going to be spending hours managing your products and orders in your store every week, it's nice that the interface is designed for your use case. Lastly, BigCommerce has a free trial so if this sounds like it could be the platform for you, I encourage you to follow along while we create a free account and then create the store. As soon as you start uploading product details, images, and customizing your theme, you'll figure out if it's the right platform for you.
So let's take a look at some of the stores built with BigCommerce.
- Why choose BigCommerce?
- Adding products
- Importing products
- Selecting a theme
- Editing product pages and menus
- Setting up shipping
- Setting up payments and taxes
- Viewing sales on the BigCommerce dashboard
- Omni-channel commerce and BigCommerce