Learn how to get up and running with Genesis and take your WordPress site to the next level.
- [Carrie] Hi, I'm Carrie Dils, and welcome to Learning Genesis for WordPress. In this course, we'll look at installing and setting up the Genesis framework and a child theme on your WordPress site. From top to bottom, we'll explore the various configuration options you can use with Genesis. I'll start by showing you what the Genesis framework is and how to work with a child theme running on the framework all from within your WordPress dashboard. Then I'll show you how to use the Genesis Theme Settings to configure your site. After that, we'll take a look at creating menus and adding them to your site.
We'll also look at each of the widget areas and widgets you'll find in Genesis, and I'll show you how to use them. Then, we'll talk about page templates, what they do, and when to use them on your site. Genesis is an incredibly popular theme framework for WordPress, supporting a strong community of designers, developers, and users like yourself. In this course, we'll teach you all you need to know to get started with Genesis. We'll be covering all the cool features of Genesis, plus I'll share plenty of other tools and techniques along the way. My goal is for you to feel comfortable and confident as a new Genesis user.
Let's get started.
- What is Genesis?
- Which files make up a child theme?
- Setting up navigation options, breadcrumbs, and comments
- Adding custom header and footer scripts
- Working with menus
- Working with the Featured Post and Featured Page widgets
- Using the Genesis Import/Export feature
Skill Level Beginner
Q. This course was updated 5/11/2017. What topics were part of the update?
A. The following topics were part of the update: prerequisite knowledge, installing Genesis, shopping for a Genesis theme, and next steps.