Join Alex Banks for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up npm scripts, part of Building a Polling App with Socket IO and React.js.
- So we are almost finished with our environment setup…but we are missing the packing json file.…Every good node GS application needs a package json file.…In fact, in node package manager,…gives us a way of creating the package json file easily…by running the npm init command.…So running this command's going to ask me some questions…and then it's going to automatically generate…my package json based upon the answers.…So what's the deal with the name of this application…is it's trying to name it based off…of the folder that it is in,…but I'm going to call this application live-polling.…Whenever we name an application,…we need to make sure everything is lower case…and that there are no spaces.…
The version doesn't really matter much for us…but the package json will keep track of the version numbers.…A description for this application, we can add that.…So that's an app that will allow speakers…to poll audience members.…The entry point is actually the app server.…So this is the file that will start to run this application.…
- Setting up the environment
- Connecting sockets
- Handling disconnects
- Setting up the React.js router
- Passing state to child components as properties
- Joining the presentation
- Starting and running the presentation
- Asking and answering questions
- Graphing results
- Upgrading to ES6
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Environment
Setting up npm scripts4m 22s
2. Connecting Sockets
3. App State and Routes
4. Joining the Presentation
5. Starting the Presentation
6. Questions and Answers
7. Graphing Results on a Scoreboard
8. Upgrading to ES6 Syntax
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.