Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Listen and repeat, part of Ecommerce: Scoping Projects.
- I'm a technical person,…so when someone asks me if something is possible,…I immediately start thinking about…how I can use this service to send the data,…another service to parse the data,…and a third service to display it.…And while it's good to start putting the pieces together,…you can't stop listening to the client.…I sometimes miss important information like why they want…to integrate with that service in the first place.…My favorite tool is to listen to the client,…paraphrase what they say,…and say it right back to them.…And the reason that this is so important…is because clients use ambiguous words and phrases…like, "The website must scale,"…or, "I want a sleek design."…Now, if you don't clarify what the client means,…you could end up building the wrong solution.…
So it's your job to tell them…exactly what you're going to build.…I'll usually say something like,…"What I'm hearing is you want to have a website…that can grow with you."…And then one of two things will happen.…The first is they'll agree with me.…
- Clarifying jargon
- Picking a proposal strategy
- Asking the right questions
- Estimating the scaling needs of a site
- Determining payment needs
- Understanding shipping needs
- Discussing currencies and taxes
- Determining localization needs
- Creating wireframes and site maps
- Creating prototypes
- Writing and presenting the proposal
- Keeping meetings on track
Skill Level Beginner
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.