Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing the Genesis Framework, part of Learning Genesis for WordPress.
- [Instructor] Before you can use the Genesis Framework,…you need to have an installation of WordPress…set up and working, either on your local computer…or on a server on the web.…If you're new to WordPress or haven't installed it yet,…I'd encourage you to check out…the installing and running WordPress series in the library.…It features short courses designed to help you select…the installation options best suited…to your particular situation.…For instance, in this course, I'm using a MAMP installation.…Once you have WordPress up and running,…you're ready to install the Genesis Framework…and a child theme.…
It's the same process you'd use for installing…any WordPress theme, except that you're actually installing…two themes, one being the Genesis Framework,…or the parent theme,…and the second being the Genesis child theme.…There are a couple of ways to go about installing themes.…The simplest way to install Genesis and your child theme…is directly from the WordPress dashboard.…So, here we are on the WordPress site,…
- What is Genesis?
- Which files make up a child theme?
- Setting up navigation options, breadcrumbs, and comments
- Adding custom header and footer scripts
- Working with menus
- Working with the Featured Post and Featured Page widgets
- Using the Genesis Import/Export feature
Skill Level Beginner
Q. This course was updated 5/11/2017. What topics were part of the update?
A. The following topics were part of the update: prerequisite knowledge, installing Genesis, shopping for a Genesis theme, and next steps.