Join Keith Casey for an in-depth discussion in this video How does OAuth 2.0 work, and what problems does it solve?, part of Web Security: OAuth and OpenID Connect.
- [Instructor] Now let's talk about how OAuth works.…On the surface, OAuth looks complicated.…And it turns out, just below the surface,…it's still complicated.…OAuth itself boils down to OAuth clients…and the grant types or flows that are applied.…This is best described by a scenario.…Let's say you found a great new website…for managing all your social media profiles.…So now you need to grant it access…to update your Twitter, your LinkedIn…and even your MySpace page.…Before OAuth this would work by you…handing your credentials over to this new website.…
This would give them the ability to log in as you…and post updates and even change your email address…and your password and send messages to your frien--…Oh wait a minute.…This is a terrible idea.…Whenever we grant access using our password,…somebody can take action on our behalf…that we don't even know about.…But luckily, with OAuth, we can be much smarter about this.…Now when we want to give the site access…to our LinkedIn profile, the site sends us…over to LinkedIn to authenticate.…
- How does OAuth 2.0 work, and what problems does it solve?
- What is OpenID Connect, and how is it different from OAuth?
- OAuth tokens and their usage
- Authorization in microservices
- Common security considerations
- Authorization for mobile apps and SPA
- Authorization in legacy applications
- Server-side implementations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is OAuth?
2. Core Terminology
3. Client Credential: Authorization for Microservices
4. Implicit or Hybrid: Authorization for Mobile Devices
5. Grant Type: Authorization Code
6. Grant Type: Resource Owner Password Flow
7. Server-Side Implementations
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.