Join Alex Banks for an in-depth discussion in this video Build speaker form, part of Building a Polling App with Socket IO and React.js.
- The process for joining our speaker is going to look…pretty similar to the process for joining audience members.…The main difference is that when a speaker joins,…technically they are starting the presentation…and they will need to supply the presentation's title.…So let's start by programming our listener…for a start event meaning a speaker has joined…on the server.…I'm going to go ahead and open up the app server…JS file and the first thing I need to do is add a variable…to hold information about our speaker.…So I'm going to come down here on line seven…and drop my cursor at the end of this line…and hit enter and add a speaker.…
And because there's only one speaker, we're going to create…this variable as an object as oppose to an array.…So now when a speaker joins the presentation,…we are going to call that a start.…So down here after line 16 where we wire up…all the socket listeners in the connection of a handler,…we're going to need to add a socket for starting.…So I want to scroll down here to below…the join socket listener and on line 42 I'll drop…
- Setting up the environment
- Connecting sockets
- Handling disconnects
- Setting up the React.js router
- Passing state to child components as properties
- Joining the presentation
- Starting and running the presentation
- Asking and answering questions
- Graphing results
- Upgrading to ES6
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Responsive Single-Page Design with Sasswith Ray Villalobos4h 55m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Environment
Setting up npm scripts4m 22s
2. Connecting Sockets
3. App State and Routes
4. Joining the Presentation
5. Starting the Presentation
6. Questions and Answers
7. Graphing Results on a Scoreboard
8. Upgrading to ES6 Syntax
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.