Join Alex Banks for an in-depth discussion in this video Automatically rejoin audience members, part of Building a Polling App with Socket IO and React.js.
- We are pretty close to finishing…with the audience member connections,…but we need to smooth out some rough edges…around joining and leaving.…I have the application running on localhost.3000,…and I have already signed in as Alex,…so there's 1 audience member connected.…Now, what happens when I hit Refresh.…Well, when I hit Refresh it assumes…that that audience member has left,…and then I need to come back in…and type Alex and Join again.…So, we don't want to do that every time we hit Refresh,…or if the server refreshes.…We want this to automatically happen for our users.…
And we can allow that to happen by using the session storage…and saving information about the connected member.…Go ahead and stop the server,…and we can close this browser window,…and go over to Sublime.…So we are going to handle this inside of the app,…so we're dealing with the client here,…so I'm going to open up the components folder,…and then open up the APP component.…Now, when a member joins,…that join is being handled by this joined function…
- Setting up the environment
- Connecting sockets
- Handling disconnects
- Setting up the React.js router
- Passing state to child components as properties
- Joining the presentation
- Starting and running the presentation
- Asking and answering questions
- Graphing results
- Upgrading to ES6
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Environment
Setting up npm scripts4m 22s
2. Connecting Sockets
3. App State and Routes
4. Joining the Presentation
5. Starting the Presentation
6. Questions and Answers
7. Graphing Results on a Scoreboard
8. Upgrading to ES6 Syntax
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.