Join Laura Franz for an in-depth discussion in this video Vertically centering text, part of Typography for Web Designers.
In this lesson we're going to vertically center the text in our footer.…You need the files quote_vcenter.html and quote_vcenter.css from the Exercise folder.…You'll also need the files quote_ vcenter2.html and quote_vcenter2.css from…the Exercise folder, because I'm going to show you two ways to vertically center your text.…We'll start with the first one, quote_vcenter.html.…Open up the file in your browser to see what we're working with.…
If you scroll to the bottom, you'll see we have a single line of text in the…footer and it's currently sort of tight to the dotted line.…It's not bad, but we're going to vertically center it in the space.…The first method of vertically centering text works great for a single line of…text like the one we have here.…We're simply going to make the line height for the text equal to the height of the div.…This works because line height adds equal amounts of space above and below a…line of text. Let's do it.…
In your CSS scroll down until you find the div ID for the footer container.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.