In this lesson, we're going to look at using two columns to create hierarchy in…our sans serif bibliography.…Along the way, we're going to pay attention to proximity so our sections…remained visually chunked for our readers.…Our goals are to create three levels of hierarchy, because we've got the main…heading, the section headings, and the titles of the resources.…We'll also retain legibility and maintain the clean modern feeling we've been…creating in the text.…Since we want to keep the layout clean, we won't be adding another font.…
We'll try to keep it simple and see what we can do with the two fonts we picked…to work together earlier in the course.…Inspired by the work we did on the serif bibliography, I'm going to jump in and…use our second font right away.…The Droid Serif is used for the h3, our resource titles, and I've paired it with…PT Sans Bold for the section header.…I'm not crazy about this, because there are more titles than section headers.…And using the Droid Serif so much might make the page feel less simple,…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.