Join Laura Franz for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the exercise files, part of Typography for Web Designers.
If you are a premium subscriber of the lynda.com Online Training Library or if…you're watching this tutorial on a DVD, then you have access to the exercise…files used throughout this course.…When you are downloading the files or copying them off a DVD, I…recommend putting them on your desktop, so they will be easy to find…throughout the course.…The exercise files are organized in folders identified by chapter and lesson numbers.…At the start of each lesson, you will be provided with an overlay showing you…the location of the files you need.…
When you open the folder for each lesson, you'll find the HTML and CSS files you…will need to complete the exercise.…Whenever a lesson uses an image, those are provided as well.…Whenever a lesson uses a web font, you'll be asked to download the web font…files from fontsquirrel.com.…I'll show you how to download and organize web font files in Chapter 1, Lesson 7, …Downloading Web Fonts.…Some lessons use the same fonts repeatedly. In Chapters 4, 6 and 8, you'll be…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.