In this lesson, we're going to make the inline links on our web page look…different from the navigation links.…You need the files biblio_ serif_difflinkstates.html and…biblio_serif_difflinkstates. css from the Exercise folder.…You also need the fonts folder with the web font files for Chopin Script.…Put a copy of the fonts folder into your Exercise folder so the Chopin Script…will continue to load properly.…Open up the HTML file in the browser to see what we are working with.…
All the links are in place and look great, but I want to visually…communicate that some of the links link to areas on the page and other links…link to an external web site.…So we are going to make links that go out to the external web sites look a…little different on the hover.…We are going to add a subtle color background instead of italicizing them like they do now.…This will communicate that this is a different kind of link, a link to an…external site, but we don't want all the links to change.…
If all the links had a background color instead of turning italic on the hover,…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.