In this lesson we will be putting some breathing room between the text frame and…the edge of the page in our traditional bibliography.…You need the files biblio_serif_page. html and biblio_serif_page.css from…the Exercise folder.…You'll also need the fonts folder with the web font files of a Chopin Script.…So put a copy of your Fonts folder into the Exercise folder.…That way Chopin Script will continue to load properly.…
Open up the HTML file in the browser to see what we're working with.…The page is set up and we've got a background image.…But there is not enough breathing room between the content and the edge of the page.…This is a traditional page and the content should live in a text frame.…We need more space between the text and the edge of the page to create the text frame.…Right now the tight edges mean that the main heading, the text, and the links all…look like they're sort of separate from each other.…
They look like strangers at a party just standing there and not talking to each other.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.