Join Laura Franz for an in-depth discussion in this video Refining the horizontal space in a two-column layout, part of Typography for Web Designers.
In this lesson, we're going to work with the CSS and HTML to refine the…relationship between our section headers and the resources content in…the right-hand column.…You'll need the files biblio_sans_ hspace.html and biblio_sans_hspace.css from…the Exercise folder.…Open the HTML file in the browser to see what we're working with.…You can see that the h2s are in a separate column.…
That's good. But they're not right yet.…First of all, some of the headers are running right into the resources text.…Also because they're left-aligned, the space between the section headers and the…content in the right-hand column varies from section to section.…This one is tight, this one is a little looser, and this one is looser still.…Using left-aligned headers in the left column is not always a problem,…especially if there's a bit more space between the headings and the content.…
Then the variations of horizontal space doesn't stand out as much.…But we've got the horizontal spacing here on a tighter side and the text is a…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.