In this lesson, we are going to hang a quotation mark outside a block of text.…This method can be used to hang any initial punctuation mark.…You need the files quote_hang.html and quote_hang.css from the Exercise folder.…Open the HTML file in the browser to see what we're working with.…You will see I have already set the quotation marks and the em dash correctly.…I've also aligned the heading, the quote, and the footer, and this is creating a…strong vertical line.…
Dealing a place where this vertical line is weak is right here where…the quotation mark is.…It's creating a white space, pushing some of the text over.…This would be a much stronger line if the D were aligned with the text and…the quotation mark hung outside the block of the text, and that's what we're…going to accomplish.…Hanging a line of text is a two-part process.…First, we are going to add margin to the left of the text, moving it over, and…then we are going to use a text indent with a negative amount equal to the…margin we just added and that will the quotation mark back out.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.