Join Martha Garzon for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting started with business names and fictitious business names, part of Running a Web Design Business: Defining Your Business Structure.
…In this chapter, I'll explain the step-by-step process for…setting up a sole proprietorship.…We'll start with the process of setting up the name of your business.…If you want to use your full legal name as the central part of the business name,…then you don't need to fill out any additional paperwork.…You can skip the rest of this video.…But, if you don't want to use your legal name in the business name,…then you need to set up a fictitious name for the sole proprietorship.…
A fictitious name is also known as DBA, or doing business as.…Note that in every US state,…it's a criminal offense to do business under an unregistered fictitious name.…You must register a fictitious name with your state to avoid serious penalties.…So, let's look at the process.…If Amy would like to call her business Amy Smith's Web Design,…she will not need to register a fictitious name.…
Her legal name is the central part of the business name.…But, if Amy wants to call her web design business Orlando Web Solutions,…she will need to register a fictitious name.…
- Understanding your business-structure options
- Choosing your business structure using five key questions
- Establishing business names and fictitious business names
- Obtaining local licenses and permits
- Applying for city/county tax receipts
- Opening a business bank account
- Understanding state and federal taxes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Overview of Business Structures
2. Sample Businesses
3. Forming a Sole Proprietorship
4. Forming a Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.