In this lesson we're going to talk about how to fix characters that don't look right.…You need the files biblio_sans_ characters.html and biblio_sans_characters.css…from the Exercise folder.…Open up the HTML file in your browser to see what we're working with.…And I would point out a mistake I made at the start of this project.…When I guided you on how to pick a font for this project I didn't consider all…of the important characters. I didn't look at the quotation marks. I waited…until the very end to switch the quotation marks to the true curly marks, which…it don't usually do in real life.…
I usually switch them over near the beginning because the double prime…marks tend to bug me.…But for this course I waited until the end.…The very end seems to like a really good time to introduce the details of punctuation.…And guess what? I don't care for these quotation marks.…They are too small and dark on the page.…They don't work with the flow and texture of the font the way…Georgia's quotation marks do.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.