In this lesson we're going to choose a web font to use.…There are two ways to use web fonts.…You can store the fonts on your own server and access them through…the @font-face syntax.…You can access the font files from someone else's server, using the syntax they provide.…That's how font service providers like Typekit work.…We are going to use the second method and we are going to use free fonts…provided at Google.com/webfonts.…Let's go to their site.…As you can see, Google web fonts offers lots of free web fonts to link to and you…won't have to download the font files and use the @font-face syntax.…
In this lesson we're going to use Google web fonts to look for a clean, modern…sans serif web font. Let's look at our Options.…Remember when choosing a font for any text it's important to determine what you…need the font to do.…We need it to be legible, have a good bald and a good italic.…We should like the numbers and I requested it look clean and modern.…Looking at this page, they have added some font since the last time I was here.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.