In this lesson, we're going to build the two column system of hierarchy for our…sans serif bibliography.…This will involve defining new divs in the CSS and adding them to our layout in the HTML.…You need the files biblio_sans_heirarchy. html and biblio_sans_hierarchy.css from…the Exercise folder.…You'll also need the biblio_sans_hierarchy.jpg.…It's a mockup of the layout which we'll use to find the width of our two new divs.…Open up the HTML file in the browser to see what we're working with.…
You can see most of the system of hierarchy is in place.…I've moved the h1 into its own div and I've already added the new levels of…hierarchy and new vertical spacing system.…I used the same kind of syntax as we used with the serif version of the bibliography.…This way we can focus on using the new divs to control placement of our section heads.…You can see our section heads, the h2s, are not in the right place yet. We want…them in a separate column.…So how are we going to make this work? Let me show you.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.