Join Laura Franz for an in-depth discussion in this video Applying typographic accents, part of Typography for Web Designers.
In this lesson we're going to apply a typographic accent. We're going to fix the…name of the designer quoted.…The O in his name should have an umlaut.…You need the files quote_accent.html and quote_accent.css from the Exercise folder.…Open up the HTML file in the browser to see what we're working with/ You'll…see the designer's name appears three times, here at the start of the text and…again at the bottom.…
It spelled incorrectly with the plain O. This makes his name Hoger, but his…last name is H?ger and it should be spelled with an umlaut over the O. We need to add this.…If you already know how to add typographic accents to letters using your…keyboard commands, you might be tempted to do the same for your HTML text. Don't do it.…The keyboard commands might show up in your browser,…but most browsers do not recognize them and they will make it difficult…to validate your HTML.…
Instead we're going to use character entities which help the HTML show…characters that won't otherwise work.…Open up your HTML document in your text editor.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.