In this lesson we're going to apply our vertical spacing system to our…serif bibliography.…You need the biblio_serif_vspace.html and biblio_serif_vspace.css files from…the Exercise folder.…You will also need the fonts folder you created in Lesson 3 of this…chapter, with the web font files for Chopin Script in it, for the font to…continue to load properly.…Make sure you drag a copy of the font folder into your Exercise folder and open…up the HTML file in the browser so we can see what we're working with.…
You can see the default vertical spacing system is still in use.…In the last lesson I showed you a better system, specific to the needs of…the text on this page.…We are going to apply that system here.…Open up the CSS file.…First, let's take control of the vertical spacing system by zeroing out the…default margins and padding.…We do that in the universal selector.…I'm adding a margin of 0 and a padding of 0.…
This tells the browser to set all margins and padding to zero unless told otherwise.…We no longer have to deal with the default spacing.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.