We have the image we'd like to use for our modernist bibliography.…Now we need to add the image to our page.…You need the files, biblio_sans_bgimage. html, and biblio_sans_bgimage.css from…the Exercise folder.…I have also provided an images folder with the image file in it.…Open up the HTML file in the browser to see what we're working with.…Everything is in place except for our image and based on our image we also need…to make a couple of changes to our colors.…
Let's put the image on our page.…In the CSS, we're going to add the image to the background of the page, so we'll…add it in the body tag.…Let's type in background-image: url (images/books_bg.gif) and…background-repeat: no-repeat, and background-position: 0em 10em, and…background-attachment: fixed.…
For right now we're going to leave our background-color.…This tells the browser you want to use a background image and the URL says…follow this path into the folder called images to find the image.…Background-repeat: no-repeat means only use the image once. Don't repeat it.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.