In this lesson we are going to apply our system of hierarchy to a bibliography…with the serif font.…You will need the files biblio_serif_hierarchy.html and…biblio_serif_hierarchy.css from the Exercise folder.…You'll also need to create a fonts folder containing the web font files for Chopin Script.…You can get the Chopin Script files from fontsquirrel.com.…If you're just joining us or if you'd like a refresher on how to download and…organize Font Squirrel's web fonts, see Chapter 1, Lesson 7, Downloading web…fonts, from earlier in this course.…
Once you've created a fonts folder, keep a copy of it on your desktop.…You will need to use it for the remainder of this course, but you will need to…put a copy of it in the Exercise folder for this lesson for it to work.…Open up the HTML file in the browser to see what we are working with.…I already have it opened here.…We have got our text and the color settings from our earlier lessons but we've…got a lot more content on the page now.…
The titles of the resources are still set in the Verdana Bold all caps.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.