In this chapter we've learned a lot about shaping the typographic page.…We've try to create more architectural space, added a meaningful background image, and…thoughtfully set our links within the structure of a modernist inspired page.…Now it's a good time to ask, how do professional designers use modernist…elements on their sites?…Are any of the pages only modernist or do the site tend to mix and match…traditional and modernist elements?…subtraction.com is a modernist site.…
In addition to using a sans serif font it creates architectural space. Space is…as important as content.…It breaks into the content area, helping to create hierarchy.…subtraction.com also uses a very controlled eight column grid. Let me show you.…Notice how the name of the site lines up with the word Home and lines up with the date.…Notice how categories lines up with the title down here.…Notice how the black square lines up with archives. If we scroll down, that lines…up with the text down along this area.…
You can also come across here and notice how the search box lines up with the…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.