We have learned a lot about how to choose fonts, how to choose two fonts that…work together, and how to work with both web fonts and web-safe fonts.…We've also learned about creating meaning with fonts, either using display web…fonts like a script or a crunch font, or by using more subtle approaches like…working with case, style, and serif or sans serif fonts to create meaning.…Now is a good time to ask, how are fonts being used on professional sites?…Here Jessica Hische uses multiple fonts in her site.…
She uses @font-face to access Colonna for the text, Coquette for the orange…links and headings, and Neuzon for her capitalized links.…She continues using the fonts throughout her site.…Working with so many fonts takes a lot of practice.…I wouldn't recommend this for beginners.…The Colonna is very traditional and elegant, the all caps, Bold Neuzon, is very…clean and geometric, and the Coquette has a lot of personality.…
The Coquette's monoline strokes have some similarity to the Neuzon, which I think helps.…
- Understanding how good typography promotes reading
- Choosing web-safe fonts
- Applying web fonts in CSS with @font-face
- Adding and applying the Google Fonts syntax
- Finding and applying a good font size, line height, and line length
- Improving a color palette by improving contrast and reducing optical vibration
- Understanding how people mentally organize, or chunk, visual elements
- Applying a system of hierarchy in HTML and CSS
- Applying vertical spacing in CSS
- Adding emphasis within a heading
- Understanding classic and modernist typographic pages
- Adding a list of links
- Creating drop caps
- Fixing quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more about this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
1. Using Fonts to Communicate the Meaning of a Word or Headline
2. Using Fonts for Text
3. Maximizing Readability
4. Visually Chunking Text
5. Shaping a Page Using Typography
6. Shaping a Traditional Typographic Page
7. Shaping a Modernist Typographic Page
8. Attending to the Typographic Details
Additional resources3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.