Join Janine Warner for an in-depth discussion in this video Identifying your target audience, part of Creating an Effective Content Strategy for Your Website.
Before I begin creating a content strategy or analyzing the existing content in…a website, I try to get as clear as I can about who is in my target audience.…If you're thinking that your website should appeal to everyone in the entire…world, you haven't narrowed things down enough yet.…Trying to reach everyone is not only impossible,…it can make it a lot harder to reach the people who matter most.…If you work for a big company or an organization, you probably want to start this…process by talking with people in the marketing department, the sales team,…customer support; these folks have thought a lot about the audience.…
But if you are working with a smaller company, you may need to do some of this…research yourself and help identify the best audience to target with the content…you are going to create.…Either way, the tips and suggestions in this video are designed to help you…appreciate why getting as specific as you can about your audience can help…ensure that your content is effective and well received by the right people.…
- What is content strategy?
- Setting clear goals and managing expectations
- Creating a content inventory
- Identifying content needs with a gap analysis
- Managing development with a content matrix
- Creating a style guide and editorial calendar
- Developing wireframes and sitemaps
- Choosing the best medium for your message
- Testing and gathering feedback from users