Join Janine Warner for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a style guide, part of Creating an Effective Content Strategy for Your Website.
- View Offline
A style guide is a valuable key to guiding your decisions about the style of the…content in your website.…You may already be familiar with some of the most popular style guides, such as…the AP style guide, The Chicago Manual of Style, or The New York Times Manual of Style.…It's not a bad idea to start by choosing one of these well-developed references…to serve as your official style guide, but it's also good practice to create…your own supplemental style guide to address things like vocabulary that may be…specific to your business or specialty.…
For example, do you prefer website as one word or two. Should you include a…hyphen in email or a capital letter?…Most editors agree that the most important thing is that you be consistent.…If you decide to use website as one word, make sure it's written that way in…every article on your website.…A good style guide serves as an important reference for everyone who is working…on a website, which is why it's also helpful to include information about tone…
- What is content strategy?
- Setting clear goals and managing expectations
- Creating a content inventory
- Identifying content needs with a gap analysis
- Managing development with a content matrix
- Creating a style guide and editorial calendar
- Developing wireframes and sitemaps
- Choosing the best medium for your message
- Testing and gathering feedback from users