Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Sculpting terrain, part of Up and Running in VUE.
- The ability to generate fractal terrains is of course…very powerful, but there are many times in which you will…need to sculpt a terrain to direct it to a particular shape.…I'll select the standard height field…and open the terrain editor with Edit Object.…The default tool in the terrain editor is a 3D sculpture tool.…As you hover the cursor across a surface…the white line that you see is the Normal,…it's a line that sticks out perpendicular…to the surface at that location.…
And when you click, the surface is then deformed…along that Normal and that's very powerful.…It allows you to sculpt in 3D to create…overhanging rocks, for example.…However, this does come at a cost,…there's a tab over here labeled Effects…and these effects are super useful, however…they won't work if you have ever used…the 3D sculpture tool on this terrain.…If you try to click on any of these buttons…you'll get an error message.…
Do to 3D displacements, 2D effects will not work properly.…That's understating it, not only will they not work properly,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Author Aaron F. Ross covers sculpting and procedurally generating terrain, adding realistic lighting and atmospherics, and creating thousands or even millions of natural objects such as trees, rocks, and plants in an instant with EcoSystems. With VUE's powerful tools and Aaron's instruction, you'll have everything you need to start building landscapes, oceans, atmospheres, ecosystems, and other realistic digital worlds.
- Installing VUE
- Navigating the interface
- Manipulating objects
- Adjusting sunlight and clouds
- Sculpting terrains
- Generating procedural terrains
- Editing materials
- Adding water, rocks, and plants
- Rendering your VUE environments
Skill Level Intermediate
CINEMA 4D R16 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson9h 35m Beginner
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. Getting Familiar with VUE
3. Modeling Terrains
4. Shading with Materials
5. Populating Scenes
6. Rendering Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.