Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a standard heightfield terrain, part of Up and Running in VUE.
- Let's get started creating terrains.…In Vue, there are two main types of terrains:…heightfield and procedural.…A heightfield, sometimes known as a heightmap,…is a common method for representing terrain elevation.…The vertices on a polygon mesh are displaced vertically…based upon the brightness values of a bitmap image.…You can even download heightfield images…from the US Geologic Service and use that data…to create accurate models of real world terrains in Vue.…Or you can create heightfields…in a paint program like Photoshop…and then import them into Vue to generate a terrain.…
In Vue, a heightfield terrain has a fixed level of detail,…meaning it has a certain number of vertices and polygons.…That in turn means that it will render quickly…and use very little memory.…But it might not look so good when you get…up close to it unless the level of detail is very high.…Vue heightfields lend themselves well to sculpting…using the tools found in the terrain editor,…which we'll explore in depth in a later movie.…Procedural terrains, on the other hand,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Author Aaron F. Ross covers sculpting and procedurally generating terrain, adding realistic lighting and atmospherics, and creating thousands or even millions of natural objects such as trees, rocks, and plants in an instant with EcoSystems. With VUE's powerful tools and Aaron's instruction, you'll have everything you need to start building landscapes, oceans, atmospheres, ecosystems, and other realistic digital worlds.
- Installing VUE
- Navigating the interface
- Manipulating objects
- Adjusting sunlight and clouds
- Sculpting terrains
- Generating procedural terrains
- Editing materials
- Adding water, rocks, and plants
- Rendering your VUE environments
Skill Level Intermediate
CINEMA 4D R16 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson9h 35m Beginner
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. Getting Familiar with VUE
3. Modeling Terrains
4. Shading with Materials
5. Populating Scenes
6. Rendering Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.