Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a procedural terrain, part of Up and Running in VUE.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Finally, let's look at procedural terrains.…They have two main features that distinguish them…from a standard terrain.…Although a procedural terrain still uses a height field,…that height field is generated from a texture map…which is procedural and non-destructive.…That way you can create endless variations…without having to sculpt anything.…You have a lot more power and a lot more ability…to customize the overall look of the landscape.…They can be sculpted just like…standard height field terrains,…but you have some limitations around…sculpting a procedural terrain.…
The other main property of our procedural terrain…that distinguishes it from a standard terrain,…is that it's level of detail is adaptive.…It has more polygons closer to the camera…and this means it will be much more efficient.…You can have a much larger procedural terrain…that will use up fewer resources and less memory.…Let's create one.…We can do that either from the object menu…under create procedural terrain,…standard procedural terrain,…or from the object toolbar.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Author Aaron F. Ross covers sculpting and procedurally generating terrain, adding realistic lighting and atmospherics, and creating thousands or even millions of natural objects such as trees, rocks, and plants in an instant with EcoSystems. With VUE's powerful tools and Aaron's instruction, you'll have everything you need to start building landscapes, oceans, atmospheres, ecosystems, and other realistic digital worlds.
- Installing VUE
- Navigating the interface
- Manipulating objects
- Adjusting sunlight and clouds
- Sculpting terrains
- Generating procedural terrains
- Editing materials
- Adding water, rocks, and plants
- Rendering your VUE environments
Skill Level Intermediate
CINEMA 4D R16 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson9h 35m Beginner
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. Getting Familiar with VUE
3. Modeling Terrains
4. Shading with Materials
5. Populating Scenes
6. Rendering Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.