Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Compositing mixed materials, part of Animating a Landscape with VUE.
- [Voiceover] To finish our chapter…on materials, let's add a mixed material…to the rocks so that they will be a different material…above the water line than they are below.…We got that for free in our pebbles material…that we loaded in from the stock presets,…now we're going to create one from scratch.…Select the rock island object,…right-click to edit its material,…and convert it from a simple material,…up here with a pull-down list,…choose mixed material,…and now the top level is a mixed material…and below that we have two simple materials.…
Let's rename this top level one,…I'll call it rock displace altitude mix.…And then just duplicate one of these onto the other.…We'll select the rock displace,…right-click and copy the layer,…then select the new blank material,…right-click and paste.…I know, actually, in advance,…that the top level, here,…is the one that's going to be below the water line,…so I can go ahead and rename that now,…to rock displace dark.…
And call this one, just rock displace.…Selecting rock displace dark,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Realistic skies and lighting are achieved with the VUE photometric spectral atmosphere model. This course covers adding animation to plants, water, and clouds with procedural wind effects. Aaron also shows how to create camera movement by employing the Timeline's intuitive tools, including animation and curve editing. Rendering many animation frames poses challenges not experienced with still image rendering, and so the course concludes with key strategies for optimizing the balance between image quality and rendering time.
- Laying out the scene
- Importing and sculpting models
- Adding water, plants and clouds
- Directing sunlight and atmosphere
- Customizing exposure and tone mapping
- Building procedural materials
- Working in the Function Graph
- Automatic and manual keyframing
- Editing splines in the Animation Graph
- Adding wind
- Keyframing the atmosphere
- Optimizing render settings for animation
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
1. Scene Layout
4. Animation and Rendering
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.