Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Work with DataTips, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- [Instructor] When you are debugging,…you need to see the information stored…in variables and other objects in your code.…Data Tips and Data Visualizer are provided…by Visual Studio to show you this information.…In this video, I'll look at the data tips,…which are floating tool tips, which display…the value of the variables.…I'll open a few files before I start debugging.…And then I'll attach the debugger…and click on this button.…If you watched other videos in this chapter,…you've seen me use break points.…
Line 34 shows you another way of adding…a break point to your code.…This is a programmatic way of adding a breakpoint.…And I'm making a call to a system…that diagnostics.debugger.break.…Before I do that, I make sure and check…to see if I have a debugger attached.…I'm doing that on Line 32.…At this point, I'm ready to through my code…and show you the data tips.…To step through my code, I can use a keystroke.…I can use either F10 or F11, both of them won't work.…At this point, I step through several lines…in my application, and I've loaded several…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.