Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Why you should watch this course, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 00 Setup and Configuration.
- [Instructor] You might wonder why you should watch this course. Is it really that important to watch a set up course? Wouldn't it be better to jump into the features of the Visual Studio IDE? Yes, of course that'd be great. But there are some reasons that this course might be important for you. This course is a prerequisite for the other courses in my Visual Studio essentials series. Rather than explain how to install and set up Visual Studio in each course, the steps are defined here in one location. Because Visual Studio Essential is a long running series, it spans Microsoft releases.
As a result, courses have been recorded in Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017. In most cases, that doesn't impact the content of the individual course. That's because the fundamentals of visual studio are the same across editions. Of course there are improvements in the newer editions. The details about new features are sprinkled throughout the series. To review the reasons to watch this course, you'll learn how to install, set up and configure Visual Studio, regardless of whether you are using Visual Studio 2015 or Visual Studio 2017.
Since the details are here, I won't have to repeat them for each course in the series.
- Selecting a version of Visual Studio
- Downloading the installer
- Installing Visual Studio
- Examining the Product section
- Choosing the installer workloads
- Configuring Visual Studio settings