There is a universe of standalone developer tools that aren't compatible with VS, or at least they've never been adapted for use within VS. These types of tools can be added to VS, through the External Tools menu. This tutorial looks at the built-in external tools available in the external tools menu.
- [Voiceover] Visual Studio contains a lot of tools…for working with your code and it's very extendable…through extensions and templates.…But there is a universe of stand-alone developer tools…that aren't compatible with Visual Studio, or at least…they have never been adapted for use with Visual Studio.…These types of tools can be added to Visual Studio…through the External Tools menu.…Plus, corporate developer shops often have custom…command line tools that are used by the software teams.…These types of tools can also be added to Visual Studio…through the External Tools menu.…
I'll show you an example of a tool that shifts with .NET.…It's called guidgen.…I'll open up a command prompt from Visual Studio,…so I'll go to All Apps.…I'll open this Visual Studio 2015 folder and I'll select…this Developer Command Prompt for Visual Studio 2015.…Now we'll run this stand-alone executable, which is…independent from Visual Studio.…This tool's called guidgen.…When I run the application, this window shows up…on the screen.…
- Installing extensions
- Using CodeMaid, Productivity Power Tools, and other Visual Studio extensions
- Adding external tools
- Creating custom item and project templates
- Building your own custom extensions
- Creating VSIX installers
- Sharing custom extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover installing and exploring extensions, creating custom project and item templates, and creating custom extensions.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Install Extensions
2. Explore Extensions
3. Integrate External Tools
4. Create Custom Project and Item Templates
5. Create Custom Extensions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.