This tutorial looks at Object Relational Mappers (ORMs) and what services they provide for modern applications. Then it looks at the Microsoft Entity Framework (an ORM) and shows where it fits into the ORM landscape. Finally, it shows how Visual Studio integrates with Entity Framework.
- In this chapter, I'll look at the tooling…inside Visual Studio that supports Entity Framework.…I'll provide a short overview of where Entity Framework…fits in the Microsoft developer world.…This is not an Entity Framework course.…It would take hours to dig into the details…of this powerful object relations mapping framework.…There is just not enough time…in this course to do the topic justice.…Time for some acronym definitions.…Entity Framework is often shortened to EF.…Entity Framework itself is an implementation…of a concept called object relational mapper,…also known as object relational mapping.…
You'll see various abbreviations used…for object relational mapping.…O/RM and ORM are the two I see frequently.…O/RMs are a type of middleware.…They sit between the database and the app layer.…They are very popular.…I've seen them used everywhere in enterprise development.…A prime responsibility for an O/RM is that it handles…data persistence from the application to the database.…Also, O/RMs are responsible…for querying the data and loading that data…
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.