Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Welcome, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 11 Data Tools.
- [Voiceover] Welcome to my Visual Studio 2015 data tools course. I'll start the course by looking at the types of databases and data supported by Visual Studio. I'll spend extra time exploring the Microsoft SQL Express LocalDB edition. This developer friendly installation is just what you need for testing, and debugging SQL databases, without having to install the full SQL edition on your computer. You'll see how to create Azure SQL databases on the Azure portal, and connect, and manage them within Visual Studio.
I'll define the differences between the server explorer, and the SQL server object explorer windows, and tell you when it's best to use each one. Plus, there's a section on entity framework too. Also on the agenda, is a look at the SQL server data tools. I'll cover the data, and schema comparison tools, and look at how to deploy a database from Visual Studio. And don't forget about the data project. A great way to find a database schema, in a Visual Studio project. That's the topic for this course, if you're ready, let's get started.
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.