Structure guidelines are dotted lines drawn in the editor, allowing you to visualize the structure of the code or markup. They are available for XAML, C#, and Visual Basic files.
- [Instructor] In Visual Studio…there's a new feature called structured guideline…which are dotted lines that are drawn between…sections of your code or markup.…They're available for C Sharp, Visual Basic,…and XAML files.…I'll start by looking at this C Sharp file.…Keep your eye on the far left of the code editor…when I open this file.…You'll see some white space over here.…And then after about three seconds,…a number of lines appear.…The left most line is the outliner…and it's been part of Visual Studio for a long time.…
It allows you to collapse section of code.…I don't want to see this for this demo,…so I'll turn it off.…Now we can concentrate on these dotted lines.…These are the structured guidelines,…and they're drawn in C Sharp…between two sets of curly braces.…So there's a curly brace up here in this namespace,…and there's a matching curly brace down here on line 28.…And that's the whole point…of having these structured guidelines.…Other tools in Visual Studio…have added those for years,…but Visual Studio has not had…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.